When it comes to gaming, even if you want the high performance of a PC, sometimes a controller is the best option over a keyboard because itâs more immersive. Depending on the kind of game youâre playing, a controller can even be the best pick over a keyboard and mouse. If you want a controller to use on PC, here are five of the best on the market.
- Consider comfort â The last thing you want is a controller that doesnât feel comfortable in your hands. Some controllers are ergonomically designed and have the buttons and analog sticks positioned in a way that itâs easier for your fingers and thumbs to get to them.
- Consider compatibility – Depending on your controller and your PC, sometimes compatibility is much easier or much harder. For example, Windows and Linux will support PS4 controllers, but Windows will automatically detect Xbox and itâs a much smoother process.
- Consider design â Of course, this isnât as important as functionality, but if you do have a great PC setup, then youâll want a controller that matches or doesnât take away from the aesthetic too much.
This first option by ZD is compatible with Windows XP 7, 8 and 10, Steam and Android. As long as the game youâre playing on PC supports Xinput mode, this controller is a great budget plug and play option. The function of the directional pad and left analog stick can be changed and thereâs a good vibration feedback function. Some have noted that the triggers have a slightly delayed response, which might be frustrating in games where timing matters especially.
- D-pad and left analogâs functions can be changed
- Delay on triggers
This F710 controller by Logitech is a wireless option that looks like a vintage console pad. If youâve recently made a switch from console to PC, this will feel like home in your hands. It has a data transmission of 2.4GHz, which means little delay or interference. Unfortunately, an updated driver for this console wasnât released when Windows 10 came out, so for it to function with that, youâll need to use the Xbox 360 driver, which means it might be hit or miss with some games.
- Vintage look
- Little delay
- No updated driver for Windows 10
EasySMX offers a premium controller which is almost identical to the Xbox One controller in terms of its shape, button positioning and design. The wired controller is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and 11, PS3, Steam, Android 4.0 or above and Tesla, which is an incredible range of support. Itâs connected with a USB cable thatâs 6.5 feet and it has a turbo button which allows you to press it once and have it respond like itâs being tapped repeatedly, a great feature for a competitive edge in some games. Some newer games will recognise it as a PlayStation 3 controller, which isnât a problem other than when it tells you to, for example, press the X button and you actually have to press the A button.
- Compatible with a lot of platforms
- Long USB cable
- Turbo button
- Gets recognised as a PS3 controller
If youâre a PC gamer looking for a controller, you likely already know the premium quality products that Razer offers. This controller is their Wolverine which is an officially licensed Xbox controller that works very well with PC. The adjustability here is incredible. The controller has interchangeable analog sticks and an interchangeable d-pad. You can also have the d-pad tilt and change the height of the sticks. Thereâs also textured grip and two extra paddles which can be assigned to any other button. Unfortunately, thereâs no wireless option and the LED only works on Xbox and not PC.
- Great customisation
- Great build quality
- Extra paddles
- LED doesnât work on PC
- No wireless option
Last up is the IFYOO ONE which looks like a standard Xbox controller with a unique twist of a backlit decorative board in the middle which can shine seven different colors. The control is supported by Windows 7,8 and 10, PlayStation 3 and Steam, which will cover all bases for most people. The controller has a good weight to it and the buttons donât feel mushy, in fact, the triggers are arguably a little too sensitive if anything. This is a great option for a budget buy.
- Light in the middle
- Great support
- Triggers can be sensitive
ONE37pm may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.